Between 2019 – 2021, OE Consulting (under its previous brand, Schaffer&Combs) performed successful Executive Searches for a Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and VP of Client Development for the impact investment firm RSF Social Finance.
RSF Social Finance is an impact-focused financial intermediary committed to reimagining and transforming the economy. Through lending, investing, and giving, RSF connects social enterprises with various forms of capital to contribute to a more just, regenerative, and compassionate world.
Multiple Executive Searches
RSF first hired OE (under our previous brand) to help them find their new Chief Executive Officer, as their previous CEO, Don Shaffer, was departing after 10 years. Following this engagement, after significant reorganization, that newly placed Chief Executive, Jasper van Brakel, hired us for two additional searches over the next two years: first for a CFO; and second for a VP of Client Development.
Contexts and Challenges.
CEO: The Board of Trustees sought a replacement for RSF’s departing CEO, who after 10 years in the leadership role, announced the intention to resign. The new CEO would be expected to build upon the exceptional work to date and further guide RSF’s vision, strategy, and stakeholder engagement to deliver on its mission and optimize its impact.
CFO: For the previous 18 months, RSF had employed a part-time outsourced solution for the finance function; however, as RSF embarked upon a new chapter, a full-time CFO was needed to build out RSF’s internal accounting and financial management structures, to make strategic contributions to RSF’s organizational planning, and to augment the CEO’s efforts towards a new era of growth.
VP: Amidst the global pandemic, both the VP of Philanthropic Services and the VP of Community Engagement departed RSF. In the wake of these departures, RSF decided to combine the two roles into one new position as the VP of Client Development. Responsible for business development, relationship management, and client services, this position would be critical to RSF’s success and would accordingly function as a key thought partner with the CEO.
The three searches focused on identifying candidates with particular strengths in the following areas, respectively:
- CEO: Executive Leadership, Social Finance Credibility, Business Model Mastery, Strategic Innovation, Operationally Grounded, Culture & Values Alignment
- CFO: Financial Expertise Relevant to RSF Business Model, Financial Strategist, Operational Architect, Seasoned & Collaborative Leader, Mission Alignment
- VP: Sector and Business Model Fluency, Business Development & Client Engagement, Growth-Oriented Strategist and Executor, Operational Implementer, Executive Leader and Manage
- RSF received a signed offer of employment from the new CEO on Jan 28, 2018, eight months after we publicized the opportunity.
- RSF received a signed offer of employment from the new CFO on May 6, 2019, seven months after we publicized the opportunity.
- RSF received a signed offer of employment from the new VP on June 22, 2021, three months after we publicized the opportunity.
“The reason I keep going back to them is their solid process, and the people on their team who really seek to understand the culture of their client’s organization and what type of person will best fit. What stood out is their support in redefining elements of the search profile, the help in making trade-offs, the integrated, strategic approach to search. They’re relationship focused, not looking for the next transaction but driven to add value as a strategic partner. They’re also very responsive and you get to work with the senior team. OE Consulting is more than a recruiter. They’re truly interested in the people they work with, and in the missions of the organizations they support.” – Jasper van Brakel, RSF Social Finance, CEO